Monday 11 December 2017

Maple Walnut Biscotti (Chickpea flour)


I have been working on my Christmas baking this last week and I am so happy I have discovered chickpea flour for cookies! Every recipe I've substituted it in so far has turned out great, including these maple walnut biscotti :D


I make biscotti every Christmas, but it's not usually gluten free. I often give it out as Christmas gifts and everyone loves it, but I'm always a bit jealous that I can't partake. Every now and then I try a new gluten free biscotti recipe, but it's always too breakable to cut properly and I'm left with mostly biscotti crumbs. Lame. 


This is the first time a gluten free biscotti recipe has actually worked for me, and I'm over the moon!! It's good enough even for gluten eaters so I don't have to make multiple batches with different flours, just multiple batches of different flavours because they seem to be disappearing a little to quickly... 


Bonus: chickpea flour is very healthy and fairly affordable. I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you think!

makes 30 pieces 
Ingredients 

1 3/4 Chickpea Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
1 tsp Maple Extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped


Directions

In a mixing bowl, gently beat together eggs, sugar, extracts and coconut oil.
Add chickpea flour to the bowl. Put baking soda, salt and spices on top.
Stir the dry ingredients together a little bit (so the baking soda and salt are spread around the flour) then incorporate everything together.
Stir in Walnuts. Mixture should be fairly stiff.
Divide dough into 2 equal portions on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into rectangles 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide and 12 inches long. Leave at least 3 inches between rectangles. 
Pat the dough smooth with slightly wet hands.
Bake at 300 for 30-35 minutes, until the middle is set.
Let cool on the pan for around 15 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board. 
Slice on an angle into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.
Place on the baking sheet, cut side down and bake at 300 for 8 minutes.
Turn biscotti pieces over and bake an additional 8 minutes.
Let cool and store in an airtight container. 
Store at room temperature or in the freezer.

Wet ingredients

Dry ingredients on top

Mix together and fold in walnuts

Shape into 2 rectangles

Bake at 300 for 30-35 mins

Let cool 15 minutes and slice on an angle

Bake 8 mins per side

Let cool and store in an airtight container 

No comments:

Post a Comment