Thursday 21 April 2016

Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites


I've recently discovered the joys of energy bites. I love these little things because they're super quick to make, and easy to eat! You can add in all different kinds of flavours. Use almond or cashew butter instead of peanut butter, replace chocolate chips with white chocolate, add in shredded coconut, different flavour extracts, etc.


This version highlights some of the gourmet ingredients I recieved from Qualifirst to review: cocoa nibs, dried cherries and cocoa powder (see my Qualifirst review). I used a combination of cocoa nibs and mini chocolate chips because I wanted some of the sweetness from the chocolate to balance out the rich, yet bitter, unsweetened cocoa nibs. If you don't have cocoa nibs you can use extra chocolate chips or omit them all together. 


My husband and son ate most of these before I could so I will have to make another batch soon! Maybe in a new flavour...

Makes 12 bites

Ingredients

1 cup Pitted Dates
1/4 cup Natural Peanut Butter (regular works too)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder 
1 Tbsp Cocoa Nibs
1 Tbsp Mini Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup GF Quick Oats
2 Tbsp Dried Cherries 

Directions

If your dates are hard and dried out, you may need to soak them in water for 15 mins to soften them up.
Blend dates in a food processor until they form a dough like ball  (I use my mini kitchen aid processor)
Add peanut butter and vanilla and blend until well combined.
Add cocoa powder and blend until you have a dough like mixture. Add water by the 1/2 tsp if you need more moisture.
Dump your mixture into a bowl with cocoa nibs, chocolate chips, cherries and oats. 
Stir until well combined.
Form the balls.
Store in fridge or freezer.

Date paste, peanut butter and vanilla

Add cocoa powder and water if needed

Finished "dough"

Mix with oats and add ins

Mix

Form into balls and refrigerate or freeze

As my 2 year old says: "mmm dee-wish-iss!"

No comments:

Post a Comment