Tuesday 24 January 2012

Breadsticks



Gluten Free Breadsticks
My mom used to make me these breadsticks for school lunches. I would take a bag of breadsticks with a little container of tomato sauce and maybe a pepperoni stick or some cheese slices and fruit. They are nice and easy to transport and they also freeze well. My gluten-eating husband has been requesting breadsticks a lot lately and I was starting to get a little jealous, so I decided to make some of my own. I'm planning to whip up a big batch for the upcoming Superbowl!

Go Pats!


I use my white buns recipe for these breadsticks. I usually make the whole recipe so I have enough to make some buns too. Why not make the most of the mess! It's a little tricky to make 1/3 of the recipe anyway. I did my best to give you the alternate measurements.

I use about a third of the dough for an 8x8 pan or roughly 2/3 of the dough for a 9x13 pan. If you want to make all breadsticks, use an 8x8 pan and a 9x13 pan. Otherwise, just make buns out of what's left over using the directions from this recipe.


(for 1/3 of this recipe use the measurements in the square brackets)

Ingredients

1/2 cup warm water                                       [2 Tbsp + 2 tsp]
2 tsp sugar                                                     [just under 1 tsp]
4 tsp dry yeast granules                                  [1 1/3 tsp]

2 cups white rice flour                                    [2/3 cup]
2 cups tapioca flour                                        [2/3 cup]
1/4 cup sugar                                                 [1 Tbsp + 1 tsp]
4 tsp guar gum (replaces the gluten)                [1 1/3 tsp]

1 1/2 tsp salt                                                  [1/2 tsp]

1 -1 1/4 cups milk (usually 1 cup is enough)    [1/3 cup]
4 tablespoons oil                                            [1 Tbps + 1 tsp]
1 teaspoon vinegar                                         [ 1/3 tsp - just estimate]
3 eggs                                                            [1 egg]
1/4 cup ground flax (optional)                         [1 Tbsp]


 Directions

Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl and let it proof.
Combine rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, guar gum, and salt together in largest mixing bowl.
Combine milk, oil, vinegar, and eggs in a smaller bowl.
Add wet mixture, flax, and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on high for 4 minutes.Spread into greased 8x8 pan and let rise 20 minutes.
Brush italian or greek dressing on the breadsticks
Bake at 350 for 15- 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

Let cool and slice into sticks. Serve with tomato sauce.

 
spread dough in greases pan and let rise


brush with italian dressing


bake and let cool

serve with tomato sauce

1 comment:

  1. I hope this comment makes it. Andra, these recipes are fab.

    Praying for your tests tomorrow and praying for your heart's desire.

    ReplyDelete