Wednesday 7 September 2011

Banana Blueberry Muffins





The other day I found myself with an overload of bananas that were going bad. I froze some, but I like baking with fresh bananas more than frozen, so I started brainstorming. I started working part time again this week (as an educational assistant). I haven't been able to work since November of 2010 because of the blood clots in my lungs. They aren't gone yet, but my doctor is letting me try a little bit of work for the sake of my sanity. Since I will be a little more tired and busy, I figured it would be nice to have a stock pile of muffins for a quick, easy breakfast on days I go to work! I had a bag of GF banana chocolate chip muffins in the freezer already, so I wanted to do something different and maybe a little healthier too. I ended up going with blueberries (I had some in the freezer) for muffin full of healthy fruit. I also had some brown rice flour from King Arthur Flour I had been wanting to try out. This particular flour is finely ground to avoid the gritty texture brown rice flour can sometimes leave in baking. I definitely noticed the lack of grittiness in these muffins and am pleased with how these muffins turned out. I ended up making some wheat flour ones for my husband to use up some of the rest of the over ripe bananas.
I love the moist texture that banana gives to baking... especially gluten free!

(makes 12-14 muffins)
Ingredients

2 bananas mashed
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted margarine
1 Tbsp lemon juice or lemon/orange rind

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown rice flour (I used King Arthur Flour Brand)
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp potato starch
3 Tbsp tapioca starch
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

batter
before baking

Directions
Mash banana and mix in wet ingredients. Combine dry ingredients and add to wet mixture. Fold in blueberries.
Spoon batter into lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 F for around 20 minutes.
Let muffins cool on a rack. Freeze in airtight container or ziplock bag the same day as baking. Microwave from frozen and enjoy!

baked

cooling


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful recipe... just wanted to stop and say thanks for being such an part of erecipecards... Love your recipes...

    All of your recipes show up here...
    http://erecipecards.com/account/userrecipes.php?id=260
    Great body of work (so far)... Keep submitting ;-)
    Dave

    ReplyDelete