Friday 29 July 2011

Raspberry Streusel Muffins

gluten free raspberry streusel muffins
So I was trying to think of what I could do with a bucket of ripe juicy raspberries I had just picked from a friend's backyard and ... I came up with these. I had never made raspberry muffins before, and I didn't have a GF recipe, so it was a bit of a gamble and I wasn't expecting too much. I found a few wheat flour raspberry muffin recipes online (to get some ideas of how they're usually made) and decided to give it a try. I couldn't believe it! They turned out AMAZING! They may just be my new favorite muffins.



I made my husband some wheat flour raspberry scones with the rest of the berries and he was still trying to steal my muffins. They were totally better than his ;)

They are also great with blueberries and a dash of vanilla... with or without streusel.

GF Blueberry Yogurt Muffins


So if you're wondering what to do with fresh raspberries, or have some hanging around in the freezer (or just love raspberries and are willing to buy some for this specific recipe), definitely give this one a try!

(makes about 14 muffins)
Ingredients

1/3 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (or use vanilla yogurt and only add 1/2 cup sugar)
1/4 cup + 2T milk
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups gluten free flour (light flour blend) (or your favourite flour blend)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 - 1 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)

Streusel

2 1/2 Tbsp rice flour (or any gf flour)
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbps margarine
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Cream together sugar and butter.
Blend in eggs, sour cream and milk.
Add dry ingredients and mix together just until combined.
Fold in raspberries. It's fine if the raspberries get broken up and the batter turns pink.
pink batter
Spoon in to paper lined (or greased) muffin tins.
Combine Streusel ingredients and crumble on top of each muffin. (You can omit streusel if desired)
Bake muffins at 375  F for 24-28 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes in the tins then transfer to a cooling rack.
Freeze within a few hours to keep fresh.

spoon into muffin tins and top with streusel

cool on a rack


6 comments:

  1. great tips, glad they came out so good with the GF flour. And i have got to get a friend with a raspberry patch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Usually people with raspberries have more than they know what to do with anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you from England. Made these tonight, but substituted natural yoghurt for the sour cream and they're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! I've tried them with yogurt with great results too. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

      Delete
  4. I'm becoming slightly obsessed with this recipe and doing variations with whatever is in my cupboard. Yesterday, I substituted the sour cream for coconut cream and had no rasps but chopped up pear on top.


    Today, I'm trying it with Nutella!! Someone stop me before I turn into a GF muffin!

    Heather (in the UK again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I think the best way to experiment and learn about gluten free baking is to alter recipes. I do that all the time with my recipes and others I find online. Muffins are so versatile too!
      Your alterations sound delicious. Don't stop! Keep experimenting and have fun:)

      Delete